Thursday, January 19, 2017

Winter ONEderland first birthday party

I am finally posting this now, a first birthday party celebrated over a year ago!! )

As a mother I should have known that things don't always work out as planned. No matter how much time is spent planning every last detail, it can all fall apart so easily. I, unfortuanetly, was reminded this when my sons first birthday was also the day a blizzard hit Illinois.
I live in Colorado but I am from Illinois so I planned this huge first birthday party that was supposed to be held in a hall about 35 minutes from where I grew up. My boyfriend ,baby and I drove  almost 1000 miles from Denver to Illinois and I had TWO DAYS to celebrate my boyfriends birthday in the city, celebrate Christmas with both families and get everything ready for the birthday party. needeless to say, it was rushed and a bit stressful but I had planned every detail beforehand hoping to lessen the load.
Sunday morning came and guess what I did not plan for? Terrible driving conditions and guests snowed in! My guest count of 43 was rapidly dropping with everyone calling me to say they couldn't make it. My heart sank and I had to act fast when my boyfriends mother offered to have it at her house instead so that we wouldn't all have to make the long and slippery drive out to the hall. All the decorations, food and crafts that I had planned had to be set up in a living room and kitchen now ! Thank goodness for good friends and family who helped me set the entire party up in about an hour before the party started. Running around like a mad woman I taped up at least a dozern paper snowflakes, hung some banners that I made, set out the kids crafts and favors, got the food , hot cocoa bar , candy bar and dessert bar set up with no time to spare. My sister picked up the cupcakes, we skipped the balloons and somehow, it all came together. It was a wonderful party that I will always remember! I think everyone really had a good time and defienetely had full bellies with food and candy to take home with them.

The theme that I chose was "Winter Onederland. "Perfect for a boy born on January 9th! Pinterest, of course, was my inspiration and I really had a fun time planning the party while still on a budget.
Toppings for the hot cocoa bar

                                I made some simple decorations like these bunting banners I cut from cardstock scrapbook paper and taped to ribbon



Some of the yummy food served

                                               Winter punch recipe found 

I cleaned used Starbucks jars and added Martha Stewart sticker labels from michaels  
For milk jars . I added some cute paper straws and red ribbon

I bought red and blue candy from Party City and had little blue and red pola dot paper bags that guests could fillip and take home
Cupcakes were ordered from Walmart 

Liam's smashcake was also ordered from Walmart

The cupcake toppers we're made by my sister Theresa 
Check out her etsy shop to buy adorable paper goods! 

My mother baked sugar cookies and we all helped the day before to decorate them. Snowflakes snowmen and mittens!


I had little cupcake liners filled with snacks for tr kids


I bought this book from Target and had each guest sign the inside cover and first page 
Add caption
I bought all the hanging snowflakes from Oriental trading and taped them all over the ceiling 

No comments:

Post a Comment