Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My Spring Cleaning Checklist

My spring cleaning checklist does not have every single cleaning to-do on it. I leave out some of the daily/weekly/monthly to-do's and try to concentrate on things that are often left unnoticed by me. I also find that I get inspired to get rid of things I don't use or wear anymore during springtime  ( probably so I can make room for new things !)

1. Go through food pantry- check expiration dates, wipe off tops of cans with wet rag, drop off food to shelter that has been sitting on your shelf for months

2. Go through fridge- again check expiration dates, take everything out and clean/disinfect entire fridge ( don't forget under and on top too!)

3. wipe down all baseboards and trim on doors/closets. ( tip: use a dryer sheet to wipe away dust, it will also make your house smell fresh!)

4. Take all books off bookshelf and dust, rearrange/organize

5. Clean all tops of candles  with wet rag (if you don't keep the wicks short , that ugly black smoke ring appears at the top of the glass jar)

6.  Go through all makeup and hair products and toss anything you haven't used in the past 2 months

7. deep clean all makeup brushes/utensils (gently rub antibacterial soap into your brushes and then rinse clean with warm water. Don't forget to lie them FLAT to dry !

8. If you are a magazine junky like me, I like to go through all my magazines and recycle the ones I don't want to keep

9.  Disinfect plastic vertical blinds (instead of just the usual dusting) I like to use the disinfectant spray (Target brand)

10. I also use this spray on door handles/knobs, drawer pulls, lamps,  anything that you touch daily. I use this in the winter months to keep the flu away too!

11. Go through all clothes and shoes- what do you REALLY wear?? Try to sell or donate anything that has been collecting dust

12. Clean / change the filter in your vacuum as well as any other filters in your home

13. Flip your mattress. If you are like me and still have a good ole spring mattress, you should flip it the opposite way to distribute the wear on the mattress evenly ( extending the life of your mattress!)

14. Clean out your car: vacuum, scrub, wash the floor mats, check tire pressure and all that fun stuff,  and get your car washed!

15. This is one that I don't do but would/should : get your carpets shampooed. It's getting cheaper and cheaper to do and if you can open up all windows and doors because of the nice spring air, your floors will dry much faster !

16. Go through your purse, wallet, and diaper bag. It's amazing the things that I find... haha!        

 17. Make yourself a cocktail, because if you do all this, you will need/deserve one ! ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment