Saturday, March 23, 2013

DIY jewelry holder



DIY jewelry holder



I made this jewelry holder for myself a few months back when I was going crazy with boredom! It's a very easy, customizable project. You can paint instead of stain the wood, use different shapes and sizes wood and the knobs can be anything you want. Get creative and please post your own jewelry holder ideas!

Materials needed:
  • a piece of wood whatever size you wish
  • A drill and drillbit
  • At least 3 knobs of some sort- can use hooks or old drawer pulls
  • Vinegar
  • Steel wool
  • jar with lid
  • coffee grinds
  • sand paper
  • saw tooth picture hanging hardware
  • a ruler
Step 1 : Find or buy a piece of wood. I went to Home Depot and grabbed a piece of cedar out of the scrap bin at the back of the store. I asked nicely for one of the employees to cut the corners of the wood for me

Step 2: Finding the right drawer pulls. I found my drawer pulls at a local boutique- thrift shops and garage sales are great places too. any type of pull or hook can be used.

Step 3: Sanding and staining. First I sanded all the edges of the piece of wood so it was all nice and smooth. Then I used a homemade natural stain:
Taking vinegar and coffee grounds, I placed a steel wool pad in the mixture with a lid on top of the jar. I let it soak overnight and the next day I rubbed the mixture all over the piece of wood with the steel wool pad. I let that dry all day. ( don't worry, the vinegar smell goes away)

Step 4: I drilled 3 holes evenly spaced apart on the wood to fit my drawer pulls

Step 5: I screwed in  all 3 pulls into the wood, fastening them with their washers at the back of the wood

Step 6: Nail the saw tooth picture hanging hardware  ( I also go this at Home Depot) to the back of the wood- make sure it is in the center! You can even add two of these if the piece of wood you chose is longer

No comments:

Post a Comment